For 1993-2011, use the hospital-level NIS Trend Weights Files, which are available for downloading below. There is an ASCII file and a SAS load program for each year. The trend weight files should be merged onto the original NIS files by Year and HOSPID. For years prior to 2012, the trend weight (TRENDWT) should be used in place of the original discharge weight (DISCWT) to create national estimates for trends analysis that are consistent with 2012 data onward. For 2012 and after, no trend weight is needed, and the regular discharge weight (DISCWT) should be used.
Trend Weights for 1993-2011 that are Consistent with the Redesigned NIS (Beginning in 2012)
The NIS is available yearly, beginning with 1988, allowing analysis of trends over time. Analyses of time trends using the HCUP NIS are recommended from 1993 forward.
As a result of the changes implemented in the redesign, users should expect one-time disruptions to historical trends for counts, rates, and means estimated from the NIS, beginning with data year 2012. For 2012 we expect overall trends in discharge counts to decline by about 4.3 percent, overall trends in average length-of-stay to decline by about 1.5 percent, overall trends in total charges to decline by about 0.5 percent, and overall trends in hospital mortality to decline by about 2.0 percent. For a detailed description of the effects of the design changes on sample estimates, please see the NIS Redesign Report available on the HCUP User Support (HCUP-US) Website.
In order to facilitate analysis of trends using multiple years of NIS data, AHRQ developed new discharge trend weights for the 1993-2011 NIS. These weights were calculated in the same way as the weights for the redesigned 2012 NIS, and are designed to be used instead of the original NIS discharge weights for trends analysis. For trends analysis spanning 2012 and earlier NIS data, trend weights should be used prior to 2012 data to make estimates comparable to the new 2012 NIS design. The trend weights were developed for trends analysis, but they can be used for all analyses, as is done on the HCUPnet Web site. The following table enumerates the differences in weighted discharges:
|YEAR||Number of Discharges in the NIS, Weighted||Number of Discharges in the NIS, Weighted with Trend Weight||Difference||HCUPnet Weighted Discharges||Difference||Comment|
|1993||34,715,985||33,736,753||-979,232||33,735,002||1,751||HCUPnet removed outlier records.|
|1994||34,622,203||33,149,768||-1,472,435||33,148,180||1,588||HCUPnet removed outlier records.|
|1995||34,791,998||33,647,121||-1,144,877||33,644,908||2,213||HCUPnet removed outlier records.|
|1996||34,874,386||33,386,097||-1,488,289||33,384,374||1,723||HCUPnet removed outlier records.|
|1997||35,408,207||33,232,257||-2,175,950||33,230,554||1,703||HCUPnet removed outlier records.|
The new trend weights replace the earlier NIS Trend Weights and NIS Trends Supplemental Files that were developed for the 1988-1997 NIS following the 1998 NIS redesign. The report Using the HCUP Nationwide Inpatient Sample to Estimate Trends (PDF file, 1.2 MB), available on the HCUP-US Website under Methods Series, includes recommendations for trends analysis.
The trend weights are available for download as ASCII files along with SAS, Stata, and SPSS load programs. Each file contains the following three data elements:
|HOSPID||Numeric||HCUP hospital identification number|
|TRENDWT*||Numeric||Weight to discharges in the universe|
All discharges from a given hospital (HOSPID) have the same discharge weight in a given year of the NIS. The trend weight files should be merged onto the original NIS files by Year and HOSPID. The trend weight (TRENDWT) should be used in place of the original discharge weight (DISCWT) to create national estimates for trends analysis. While TRENDWT was developed for trends analysis, it can be used for all analyses, as is done on the HCUPnet Web site. By design TRENDWT has a value of zero for some hospitals, and this does not impair the accuracy of the estimates.
*The 2000 file contains a second trend weight: TRENDWTcharge. For 2000, use TRENDWT to create national estimates for all analyses except those that involve total charges; and use TRENDWTcharge to create national estimates of total charges. For all other years, use TRENDWT for all estimates.
NIS Trend Weights files for download by year
A ZIP file containing all years (1993-2011) is also available for download. (ZIP format, 131 KB)
|Internet Citation: HCUP NIS Trend Weights. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). October 2021. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/nation/nis/trendwghts.jsp?utm_medium=email&utm_source=transaction.|
|Are you having problems viewing or printing pages on this website?|
|If you have comments, suggestions, and/or questions, please contact email@example.com.|
|Privacy Notice, Viewers & Players|
|Last modified 10/14/21|